There are really no words to describe what took place in the United States of America – our United States - on January 6, 2021.
I’m not referring to yet another daily record-high number of deaths due to a virus that could have possibly been nipped in the bud a year ago had the proper action been taken at the time its presence was known.
Rather, I’m referring to what took place in our nation’s capital. I won’t take the time to go into the details here, because I’m sure most of you already know. In fact, I’m certain that most of you – like me – saw it as it played out live on whatever television station you happened to be watching at the time.
In short, our democracy was under attack. An attack, no less, orchestrated by the person in charge of that democracy.
I didn’t think it was possible to find the words to describe what happened that would give it the justice it deserves - forgive me for the use of the word ‘justice’ - but after thinking about it for a moment, a few came to mind:
- Atrocious, abhorrent, awful, appalling, abysmal, abominable, alarming.
- Disgusting, disappointing, despicable, deplorable, dangerous, dreadful, disturbing,
- Incomprehensible, irresponsible, inexplicable, intolerable, incorrigible.
- Horrific, nefarious, iniquitous, inexcusable, loathsome.
- Chilling, traumatizing, pernicious, vile, frightening, treasonous.
- Malevolent, malignant, malicious.
- Repugnant, repulsive, rancorous.
- Ghastly, grim, gruesome, shocking, sickening, shameful.
- Unimaginable, unbelievable, unfathomable, unspeakable, unnerving.
And, last but certainly not least, downright criminal.
January 6, 2021. What was supposed to be a day to validate the election of a new administration transformed into one of shame and disgrace for the one currently in office.
I thought there were no words to describe it.
I was wrong.