Local piano students from the Coweta-Fayette Music Teachers Association recently ranked in the final round of the state Georgia Music Teachers Association Piano Competition.
“This is the biggest student competition in the state of Georgia, and every year, local students begin the competition at the CFMTA local auditions in Peachtree City before moving ahead to regionals and state,” said Fernando Ramos, president of CFMTA.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, students participated in the regional and state rounds of competition virtually.
“Making it to state is quite an accomplishment,” Ramos said. “Students are extremely competitive at that level, and once there, only select students get ranked into three different categories.”
Students who represented CFMTA in the competition included:
- Jiho An, a fourth grader and student of Inyoung Choi, received an honorable mention
- Yelin Kim, a ninth grader and student of Inyoung Choi, received an honorable mention
- Sophia Madani, a sixth grader and student of Ramos, received an Award of Excellence
- Vedita Sawhney, a seventh grader and student of Inna Satunovsky, received an honorable mention
- Khumo Simelane, a ninth grader and student of LuAnn Latzanich, received an honorable mention
- Lina Wang, a fifth grader and student of Eric Clay, received an honorable mention
- Paul Yi, a 10th grader and student of Inyoung Choi, received an honorable mention