BJ’s Wholesale Club announced they will pay hourly employees an additional $2 per hour for each hour worked through May 2, 2020.
In addition to the wage increase, BJ’s is implementing additional measures to support their employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, including:
- Temperature checks for team members: BJ’s will begin to check the temperatures of team members as they report to work in all locations. All team members will enter through the designated employee entrance, regardless of start time. If any team member registers an elevated temperature, they will not be able to enter and will be directed to return home and seek medical care if necessary.
- Masks and gloves: BJ’s will begin to make masks and gloves available, as supplies permit, to employees who want to wear them. BJ’s will not provide N95 respirators, to reserve them for healthcare workers.
- Closed on Easter: All BJ’s clubs will be closed on Easter Sunday, April 12, 2020.
- Team member paid leave: BJ’s issued an emergency paid leave policy to support employees during this time and allow them to stay home if they’re experiencing any COVID-19 related symptoms or are quarantined.
“Our priority has been and remains the health and safety of our team members, members and communities,” said Lee Delaney, BJ’s president and CEO, in a press release. “We deeply appreciate the hard work and dedication of our team members, and we value the trust and confidence that our members have in us to provide them with essential services during this challenging time.”
Additionally, BJ’s is launching new measures to help ensure safety while shopping, including:
- Social distancing: BJ’s has implemented new operational processes to encourage social distancing in its clubs, including posting instructional signage throughout every club; dedicating team members to ensure members wait in line at an appropriate distance while checking out; and making overhead audio announcements.
- Capacity limits in clubs: Starting Saturday, April 4, BJ’s will limit the number of members allowed inside clubs at one time. The number of members allowed in clubs will vary by location based on the square footage of each club. No more than 20 percent of a club’s total capacity will be allowed in the building at any given time. When possible, all members are encouraged to send only one person per household to shop. This policy will help promote social distancing efforts and ensure a safer environment for members and team members.
- Supporting our hospitals: The BJ’s Charitable Foundation is committed to nourishing communities and helping families thrive. In addition to the previous $500,000 donated to support COVID-19 relief efforts, the retailer’s foundation will contribute another $500,000 to support hospitals throughout its footprint. In total, the BJ’s Charitable Foundation has contributed $1 million to COVID-19 relief efforts, and BJ’s clubs have donated countless items to first responders, health care workers and nonprofits to help support their communities.
Members can find their local club and check club hours by visiting bjs.com/locations .