Parents can register their children for Coweta County School System kindergarten classes for the 2020-21 school year starting Feb. 3.
Kindergartners new to the school system are the largest group of children enrolled each year. Early registration for those new students is held for the convenience of parents, and helps avoid delays or wait times as the new school year draws closer.
Kindergarten classes in Coweta County elementary schools are open to all children in the county who will be 5 years old by Sept. 1.
Kindergarten registration is held for children who are not currently enrolled in a Coweta County school. Students who have been enrolled in a Coweta County School System pre-kindergarten class during the 2019-20 school year do not need to register again to enter kindergarten.
Children who will be 4 years old by Sept. 1 are eligible to apply for a limited number of pre-kindergarten spots at the elementary schools in their districts from March 2-18. Classes are filled by lottery drawing, and those children selected for a spot will be able to register for Pre-K after the early kindergarten registration period ends.
New student registration is at the school system’s Central Registration Center, 167 Werz Industrial Boulevard in Newnan. The center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. except for Monday, Feb. 20, when it will be closed for Presidents Day.
Enrolling a child for school is a three-step process:
Step 1: Complete an online pre-registration form, which can be found on the school system’s website at www.cowetaschools.net . Online pre-registration may be completed at home or at kiosks available at the Werz Industrial Blvd. office.
Step 2: Call the Coweta County Schools Registration Center at 770-254-5551 to schedule a registration appointment.
Step 3: Gather the following required registration documents for your child’s appointment.
• Birth certificate for the student being enrolled. A state-issued, certified copy is required – hospital certificates are not accepted.
• Social Security card for the student being enrolled.
• Current (not expired) state ID or driver's license of the biological parent or legal guardian registering the child. Proof of custody or guardianship is required if the registering adult is not the birth parent.
• Proof of residence. Any two items from the following list are required for address verification: mortgage documents or a security deed which indicates the location of the residence; apartment or home lease or rent receipt indicating the current address; current electrical bill or an approved application for electrical service showing the current address (please bring the entire bill to show electrical service and address); property tax records which indicate the location of the residence; voter precinct identification card or other voter documentation indicating the current address
• Immunization certificate – either a Georgia Department of Human Resources (DHR) immunization certificate form 3231 or a signed 30-day waiver. For students new to Georgia, a 90-day waiver can be issued at the time of student registration.
• Hearing-Dental-Vision-Nutritional Certificate on Georgia Form 3300 or a signed 90-day waiver. Immunization and Hearing-Dental-Vision certificates can be obtained from the Coweta County Health Department (770-254-7400) or from a family physician. Short-term waivers issued to students new to Georgia during registration will allow parents time to obtain the certificates, but students may be withdrawn if the certificates are not filed by the end of the waiver period.
Students must attend the school in the attendance zone in which their residence is located. To find out what elementary school district serves an address, call the Coweta County School System Transportation Department at 770-254-2820.