When Jeff Bishop was researching his book, “Agatahi,” he found a map with the word “Newnan” far from Coweta County on it.
“Agatahi” tells of the removal of the Cherokees from their homes in north Georgia. Finding a notation for “Ft. Newnan” intrigued Bishop, who is the executive director of the Newnan-Coweta Historical Society. He grew up near Senoia, graduated East Coweta High and is a former Newnan Times-Herald reporter.
Fort Newnan was in what is now Pickens County. Soldiers stationed there took part in removing Indians from such nearby communities as Talking Rock, Talona and Mountain Town in 1838.
Records show Fort Newnan was built in the Hickory Log District of the Cherokee Nation on the south side of the Federal Road near the confluence of Talking Rock Creek and Town Creek. While that exact location is uncertain today, there are some ideas about the site.
Charles Walker, a Baptist minister and historian, was among those who postulated that Fort Newnan was at the current junction of Highway 136 and Antioch Church Road in Pickens County. Walker believed the fort stood on a tract just east of Blaine Masonic Lodge.
Fort Newnan was named for Gen. Daniel Newnan, who was a hero in the War of 1812, and later served in the U.S. House of Representatives and as Georgia Secretary of State.
When Pike County was formed in 1822, the original county seat was called Newnan, but the town was abandoned when the county seat moved to Zebulon. Similarly, Coweta’s original county seat, Bullsboro, was essentially abandoned when Newnan was formed.
Pike County’s Newnan has a historical marker, and Bullsboro was located in the vicinity of the parking lot north of Walgreen’s at Bullsboro Drive and the bypass. There was a town called Newnansville in Alachua County, Fla., which has also disappeared.
Fort Newnan, Newnansville and both Georgia towns named Newnan were all named for Daniel Newnan. He is buried at Newnan Springs United Methodist Church in Catoosa County in northwest Georgia.