The Newnan Times-Herald


EC splits with Pebblebrook

  • By Doug Gorman
  • |
  • Mar. 16, 2019 - 6:26 PM

The East Coweta soccer teams split a pair of Region 2-7A matches Friday night at Garland Shoemake Memorial Stadium against Pebblebrook.

In girls action, East Coweta scored early and often en route to a 9-0 victory, while the boys fell behind early and dropped a 4-1 decision.

With the win, the Lady Indians improved to 7-3-1 overall and 1-0 in region play.

East Coweta’s boys dropped to 5-6 overall and 0-1.

Laney Steed had a hat trick by the first half and the Lady Indians were never challenged in the region opener for the Lady Indians.

Three goals were taken off the board for various violations by the Lady Indians.

Just nine minutes into the game, Emily Darnell feed a pass into the box for Steed who appeared to score on the play, but a handball violation nullified the goal.

A little less than five minute later, the duo struck again and this time it held up giving the Lady Indians a 1-0 lead.

Darnell gave the Lady Indians a 2-0 lead with East Coweta’s second goal of the game.

East Coweta kept the pressure on the rest of the half, scoring five more goals.

Adrianna Garcia’s shot bounced out to Ellie Watson in front of the net and she rebounded the shot and booted it into the goal for a w3-0 East Coweta lead.

The Lady Indians scored four more times in the span of about nine minutes with Steed scoring  more goals and Abby Cuttle also putting the ball in the back of the net.

Thanks to East Coweta’s big first-half lead, the second half was only played with 20 minutes put on th clock.

However, the Lady Indians kept the offensive pressure on the Lady Falcons.

Brookelyn Still added both second-half scores for the Lady Indians.

Great defensive pressure by East Coweta allowed the Lady Falcons to get off just three shots the entire game and just one on goal.

The Pebblebrook boys scored the first two goals of the match just 10 minutes into the contest and built a 2-0 lead over the Indians.

Michael Garcia put Pebblebrook up 1-0 when he dribbled around the East Coweta backline and pushed the ball into the back of the Indians’ net with 34:45 left in the first half.

Pebblebrook scored again four minutes later, when Jeffrey Appiah gave the Falcons a 2-0 lead.

The Indians had their best chance to score in the first half with 7:17 when Noah Shumake hooked up with Jesus Aliva, but the shot missed the mark.

Appiah gave Pebblebrook a 3-0 lead right before the end of the first half when he rebounded a ball and put it into the net with 19 seconds left.

East Coweta kept the pressure on in the second half, getting their only goal of the game with 26:40 left.

Andrew Wilson headed the ball to teammate Micheal Alruz in the box who put it past the Falcons’’ keeper.

Pebblebrook squelched the Indians’ momentum with the final goal of the game with 17:15 left in the contest.

East Coweta goalkeeper Daniel Contreras came up with some big saves throughout the game to keep the Indians close.