The Newnan Times-Herald


Raffensperger, Eaton win big in Coweta

  • By Sarah Fay Campbell
  • |
  • Dec. 05, 2018 - 10:37 PM

The runoff election went off without a hitch in Coweta Tuesday.

Cowetans voted overwhelmingly for the two Republican candidates on the ballot – Brad Raffensperger for Secretary of State and incumbent Chuck Eaton for the Public Service Commission.

Statewide, the numbers were tighter, but Raffensperger and Eaton still appeared victorious.

Final vote totals won’t be known until at least Friday night. Because of the shortened period for people to receive and send back absentee ballots, the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office has agreed to count ballots that arrive in local election offices on Friday, as long as the ballot was postmarked by Tuesday.

Approximately 1,000 Coweta absentee ballots were still outstanding on Wednesday, said Coweta Elections Superintendent Jane Scoggins.

Statewide, Raffensperger led former Democratic Congressman John Barrow 51.97 percent to 48.03 percent. Raffensperger had 57,235 more votes by Wednesday afternoon.

Eaton led Democrat Lindy Miller 51.83 percent to 48.17 percent, with 52,835 more votes.

Local totals were 15,207 votes for Raffensperger to 5,544 for Barrow, and 14,908 votes for Eaton to 5,759 for Miller.

Barrow sent out a press release late Wednesday afternoon congratulating Raffensperger on his win.

Turnout was light compared to the Nov. 6 general election, but fairly healthy for a runoff election, Scoggins said. However, based on strong early voting, she was expecting a little higher turnout.

Coweta turnout was nearly identical to turnout statewide – 22.69 percent locally, and 22.68 percent overall. That’s compared to 63.54 percent locally and 61.44 percent turnout statewide on Nov. 6.

Scoggins said she hopes to certify the election on Saturday.

On election day, even though there was no voting at the Coweta Voter Registration Office, one of the county’s two early voting locations, plenty of people showed up to vote there anyway. Scoggins said that throughout the day, there was always someone coming into the office to vote. Early voting ended Friday, and voters had to go to their assigned precincts on Tuesday. Voters who did show up, however, were given information to get them to the correct place.