The Newnan Times-Herald


Trinity girls, Heritage boys knocked out by defending state champs

  • By Doug Gorman
  • |
  • May. 20, 2018 - 4:29 AM

MACON – Soccer seasons ended Friday for the Trinity Lady Lions and the Heritage Hawks as both squads lost at the GISA Final Four in action played at Five Star Stadium on the campus of Mercer University.

Trinity ended its season with a 3-1 loss to defending state champion Augusta Prep, while Heritage fell to boys five-time defending state champion Westminster-Augusta 4-0.

It's the second year in a row both Trinity and Heritage have ended their season at the Final Four.

For the first 23 games, the Trinity Lady Lions waltzed through the opposition with ease.

It's was game 24 where Trinity hit a roadblock, losing for the first time all year.

The loss also ends the team's association with the GISA. Starting with fall sports, Trinity will begin playing in the GHSA.

Throughout the season, Trinity (23-1) has used a potent offense, averaging more than six points per game and often beating opponents by double figures.

In Friday match, the Lady Lions took early control of the game, dribbling into the Augusta box and getting several shots on goal in the first few minutes of the game.

Less than three minutes into the contest, Trinity set up a corner kick from Abby Bragg and Olivia Loris booted the ball into the back of the net for a 1-0 lead.

Nearly 17 minutes later,

Augusta Prep converted a corner kick of its own when Natalie Layug tied the game at 1-all.

The second half turned into a little bit of a chess match as both teams took turns seizing the momentum with scoring opportunities.

Augusta Prep took a 2-1 lead on a goal by Jessie Rosenblum midway through the second half.

Morgan Tolleson gave Augusta Prep some huge insurance with a late second-half to put it up 3-1.

Despite the loss, Cheyenne Teems made some crucial saves in goal for the Lady Lions.

Augusta Prep played Deerf ield -Windsor in the state championship..

It was Augusta Prep's fifth trip to the GISA state title game.

Because of weather delays involving two earlier matches, the Heritage Hawks began their contest nearly 90 minutes late.

It took Westminster just about eight minutes to score the breakthrough goal when Thomas Drake gave the Wildcats a 1-0 lead.