If youngsters in Coweta County have stars in their eyes this summer, it could be because of Vacation Bible School.
Galactic Starveyors, an outer-space-themed curriculum, is being used by many area churches this summer for Vacation Bible School. Other churches will be setting up a fun factory, recreating a Bible character’s world or focusing on a foreign country for VBS.
Volunteers have been planning for Bible School for months. Last Sunday’s bulletin at Providence Baptist Church on Providence Church Road had reminders about volunteers for classes, help in the kitchen and snacks.
More than 180 VBS workers from churches all over the West Georgia area attended a regional Vacation Bible School Clinic at Royal Baptist Church earlier this year. Providence held its own training in March, and Luthersville Baptist Church held a VBS registration event this past Saturday.
St. George Catholic Church has had a sign promoting Vacation Bible School in front of the church on Roscoe Road for about a month.
SonRise Baptist is one of the churches that will be using the Galactic Starveyors curriculum from Lifeway, the Southern Baptist Convention’s education and publications agency.
The Galactic Starveyors VBS will offer “a week of searching the visible to discover the invisible,” Amy Autry, children’s ministry at SonRise.
“Kids will begin each day at Worship Rally. From Worship Rally, kids will gather at the Starveyors Clubhouse where they will explore God’s Word,” Autry said.
“Each day kids will encounter amazing and wonderful things designed by a Creator who is even bigger than the vastness of His creation,” Autry said. Children will make crafts and “play fun games, enjoy tasty snacks, sing cool songs, and learn about missions,” Autry said.
East Newnan Baptist is also using the Starveyors theme. “As kids look through their telescopes to admire God's creation, they will learn that God, who created such an amazing universe, loves them deeply and desires a personal relationship with them,” said East Newnan volunteer June Harris.
The Adventure begins June 12th-16th at SonRise Baptist Church from 9:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. for kids who have completed Pre-K4- fourth Grade. Call 678-423-1828 for more information, or register online at www.sonrisebaptist.org
Several churches are using the Maker Fun Factory theme. St. George Catholic Church will be transformed into a factory. Activities will focus on a positive message each day, focusing on how God made each and every person for a reason.
St. George has a large number of volunteers to help with VBS, including some middle schoolers.
“Rome: Paul and the Underground Church” will be the theme at White Oak Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church on Gordon Road. Ages 4-12 will participate in a Bible-times marketplace, sing catchy songs, play teamwork-building games and enjoy some “Roman eats.”
The White Oak VBS pupils will “visit Paul” while he’s under house arrest and collect Bible Memory Makers. Each day will concludes at Extollo – a time of upbeat worship.
The Bible School at Mt. Vernon First Baptist Church will be one of the earliest, starting this coming Tuesday, May 30, with the “Glow For Jesus! Let Your Light Shine!” theme. “There will be fun, food, and fellowship as we learn and grow in God’s Word,” said church secretary Donna Freeland.
Each age group will present what they have learned on Friday at Mt. Vernon.
One of the more unusual themes will be at First United Methodist Church of Newnan. Passport to Peru: Discovering God’s Gifts for Us All will offer activities for rising pre-kindergarten students through sixth grade.
Some churches have a small registration fee for VBS, but most do not. “All activities – including dinner – are free,” said Sha Fleming, VBS director at New Lebanon Baptist.
Vacation Bible Schools on the schedule are:
• Mt. Vernon First Baptist Church, 54 Pinson St., May 30-June 2, 6:30-8:30 p.m. All ages. Transportation available. Information – Margaret Seldon, 678-633-2050; Donna Freeland, 770-294-3391.
• East Newnan Baptist Church, 14 Pearl Springs Trail, June 4-8, 6-8:30 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Providence Baptist Church, 918 Providence Church Road, June 4-8, 6-8:30 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Royal Baptist Church, 70 Mayo Royal Industrial Drive, Newnan, June 4-8, 6-9 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• First Baptist Church, 2930 S. Highway 29, Moreland, June 4-8, 6-9 p.m. Register on Facebook. Galactic Starveyors.
• Mills Chapel Baptist Church, 85 Country Club Road, Newnan, June 4-9, 5:30-8:45 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Ramah First Baptist Church, 502 Ramah Drive, Palmetto, June 5-8, 8:45 a.m.–12:15 p.m. Kindergarten- sixth grade. Galactic Starveyors.
• Smith Chapel United Methodist Church, 525 Welcome-to-Arnco Road, June 5-9, 9 a.m.-noon. Super God! Super Me! Super Possibility!
• Bethlehem Baptist Church, 2194 W. Grantville Road, June 11-14, 6-8:30 p.m. Created by God.
• First Baptist Church, 41 Johnson St., Senoia, June 11-15, 6-8:30 p.m. Created by God.
• Elim Baptist Church, 1529 Handy Road, June 11-15, 6:30-9 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Northside Baptist Church, 3070 Highway 29 N., June 11-16, 6-8:30 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Sargent Baptist Church, 467 North Main St., Sargent, June 11-16, 6-8:30 p.m. Age 2- fifth grade. SonWorld Adventure Park.
• St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, June 12-15, 9 a.m.-noon. Pre-kindergarten through fifth grade. Hero Central.
• First United Methodist Church, Newnan, June 12-15, 9 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Rising pre-kindergarten- sixth grade. Registration, $15, includes T-shirt and CD. Registration online: newnanfumc.org
• Corinth Baptist Church, 7040 Corinth-Newnan Road, Hogansville, June 12-16, 6-8:30 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Arnco Baptist Church, 81 Arnco Third St., June 12-15, 6:30-8:30 p.m. The Armor of God.
• First Baptist Church, 15 W. Washington St., June 12-16, 8:30 a.m.-noon. Galactic Starveyors.
• SonRise Baptist Church, June 12-16, 9 a.m.-noon. Pre-kindergarten 4-year-olds- fourth grade. Registration, call 678-423-1828, or visit www.sonrisebaptist.org
• Macedonia Baptist Church, 1504 Macedonia Road, June 12-16, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Fellowship Chapel, 1188 Tommy Lee Cook Road, Palmetto, June 12-16, 5:30-8 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Crossroads Church, 3260 GA-16, Sharpsburg, June 14-16, 9 a.m.-noon. Summer Explosion.
• Antioch Baptist Church, 47 Williamson Circle, Woodbury, June 17, 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m. CampOut.
• Newnan Presbyterian Church, June 19-22, 9 a.m.-noon. Age 4- fifth grade by Sept. 1. Fee, $12 per child until June 12, then $17. Maker Fun Factory – Created by God – Built for a Purpose. Online registration: www.newnanpres.org/vbs
• OakLawn Baptist Church, 482 Pine Road, June 19-22, 6:30-9 p.m.
• Heatherwood Baptist Church, 721 Shenandoah Blvd., June 19-23, 9 a.m.-noon. Galactic Starveyors.
• Woolsey Baptist Church, Fayetteville, June 19-23, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m.Age 4- sixth grade. Galactic Starveyors. Online registration: www.woolseybaptist.org
• Faith International Christian Center, 1294 Highway 34 West, June 19-23, 6-8 p.m. Ages 6-12. The Greatest Superhero of All: Jesus.
• Powell Chapel United Methodist Church, 586 Old Atlanta Highway, June 19-23, 6-8 p.m. Ages 4-12.
• New Lebanon Baptist Church, 1674 Wagers Mill Road, Newnan, June 19-23, 6-8:30 p.m. Dinner, 6 p.m. Age 2-sixth grade. Over the Moat.
• First Baptist Church, 216 Main St., Franklin, June 19-23, 6-8:30 p.m. Joseph’s Journey.
• Luthersville Baptist Church, 44 S. Main St., Luthersville, June 19-23, 6-8:30 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Sharpsburg Baptist Church, June 25-29, 6-9 p.m. Snack supper for children, 5:30 p.m. Maker Fun Factory. Online registration:www.sharpsburgbaptist.com.
• Unity Baptist Church, 311 Smokey Road, June 26-29, 8 a.m.-noon. Galactic Starveyors.
• White Oak Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, 2796 Gordon Road, Senoia, June 26-30, 8:45 a.m.-noon. Ages 4-12.
• St. George Catholic Church, 771 Roscoe Road, June 26-30, 9 a.m.-noon. Kindergarten-fifth grade. Maker Fun Factory.
• Newnan Chapel United Methodist Church, 72 Robinson St., June 26-30, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Preschool-12th grade. Super God! Super Me! Super Possibilities!
“A meal will be served every day during Vacation Bible School,” said Julia Morrison-Morgan, who helps with public relations for the church.
• Hope Memorial Baptist Church, 2321 Fischer Road, Sharpsburg, June 26-30, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Moreland United Methodist Church, 16 Church St., July 9-13, 6-8:30 p.m. Ages 5-12. Maker Fun Factory: Created by God, Built for a Purpose. Online registration form: www.morelandumc.org
• First Baptist Church, 500 E. Main St. Hogansville, July 9-13. 6-8:30 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• First Baptist Church, 224 Magnolia St., Haralson, July 10-14, 6-8:30 p.m. Fun Factory.
• Rehoboth Baptist Church, 155 N. Main St. Luthersville, July 16-20, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Sunnyside Baptist Church, 255 Greenville St., July 17-19, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Registration, July 17, 6 p.m. Ages 3-12. Enter at church basement. Galactic Starveyors.
• White Oak First Baptist Church, 2078 Highway 34 E., July 17-21, 6:30-9 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Change Church, 45 W. Broad St., Grantville, July 23-28, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Galactic Starveyors.
• Grace Community Fellowship Church, 75 Roscoe Road, July 24-28, 9 a.m.-noon. Ages 5-12. Free registration – call Darcy, 770-304-2667.