Solemn vigils, music specials, egg hunts, a drive-thru tableau, early morning services and a helicopter dropping treats into a stadium are among the various ways faithful Christians plan to celebrate Easter today and tomorrow.
A sunrise service will be held at the Greenville Street Park Sunday morning to herald the arrival of Easter.
First United Methodist Church of Newnan is sponsoring the service, which will start at 7 a.m. A light breakfast will follow at fellowship hall of the church.
The earliest sunrise service on the Coweta list is nearby at the recently completed cornerstone courtyard at Newnan Presbyterian Church, at 6:45.
Other churches planning a sunrise service for 7 a.m. include Mt. Vernon First Baptist Church on Pinson Street, Sunnyside Baptist Church on Greenville Street, East Newnan Baptist Church, Change Church in Grantville, Luthersville United Methodist Church and Rehoboth Baptist Church in Luthersville. Word of God Lutheran Church in Peachtree City will hold a service at 7:05 a.m. at its property on Highway 34 on Shoal Creek one mile past Sam’s Club.
Providence Baptist Church on Providence Church Road will have its sunrise service at 7:15 a.m.
Tonight is the final night for the Easter Drive-Thru at Cornerstone United Methodist Church at Thomas Crossroads. Ten biblical scenes will be recreated from 6-9:30 p.m.
Other events on the calendar today are:
• 9:30 a.m., Easter Egg-Stravaganza, SonRise Baptist Church, 6 Shenandoah Boulevard. Inflatables, games, face painting. Age level hunts – 1-3, 10 a.m.; 4-5, 10:20 a.m.; K-2, 10:40 a.m., and grades 3-4, 11 a.m. Pre-registration, visit www.sonrisebaptist.org
• 10 a.m., Easter Eggstravanganza, New Lebanon Baptist Church 1674 Wagers Mill Road. Food, age-level egg hunts, games, bounce house bake sale/cake auction.
• 10 a.m., Egg Hunt, St. George Catholic Church.
• 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Egg Hunt, Change Church, Grantville. Sweets table/lemonade stand.
• 11 a.m., Egg Hunt, First Baptist Church, Moreland. Five-age level hunts.
• 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Helicopter Egg Drop, Shoemake Stadium, East Coweta High School. Actual drop, 12:15 p.m. Games, crafts music, food trucks. Sponsor: Crossroads Church.
• Noon-2 p.m., Egg Hunt, Resurrection Lutheran Church. Age level hunts.
• Noon, Blessing of the Easter Food/Baskets, St. George Catholic Church.
• Noon-3 p.m., Egg Hunt, McIntosh Reserve, Whitesburg. Egg hunt at 2. Face painting, inflatables, train rides, music. Parking fee, $5 per vehicle.
• 1 p.m., Egg Hunt, Sunnyside Baptist Church. Games.
• 1:30-2:30 p.m., Easter Eggcitement at the Bend, Chattahoochee Bend State Park. Egg hunt, $3. Chalk contest, $3. Parking, $5.
• 2 p.m., Egg Hunt, Providence Baptist Church, Providence Church Road.
• 3 p.m., Egg Hunt, Powell Chapel United Methodist Church, 586 Old Atlanta Hwy.
• 3 p.m., Easter Fest, Central Educational Center, Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.
• 5 p.m., Egg Hunt, Willie Lynch Park, Richard Allen Drive/Wesley Street. Children must be chaperoned. Sponsor, Mon Amies Civic and Social Club.
• 6-9:30 p.m., Easter Drive-Thru, Cornerstone United Methodist Church.
• 6 p.m., Easter Vigil, Christ Our Shepherd Lutheran Church, Peachtree City.
• 7-9 p.m., "A Night of Worship," Peachtree City Seventh-Day Adventist Church, 4957 Hwy. 34 East, Sharpsburg.
• 8 p.m., Bilingual Easter Vigil Mass, St. George Catholic Church.
• 8:30 p.m., Easter Vigil, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church.
• 8:45 p.m., Easter Vigil, St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church, 3 Village Road.
On the Sunday calendar are:
• 8:30/9:45/11 a.m., Festival Worship Easter Worship, sanctuary, Christ Our Shepherd Lutheran Church, Choir, brass, handbells.
• 9 a.m., Easter Program, Newnan Chapel United Methodist Church. Processional, speeches, music, praise dance, sign language interpreter. Presented by ages 3-16.
• 10 a.m., Resurrection Sunday Communion, Resurrection Lutheran Church.
• 10 a.m., Youth Easter Program, Mt. Vernon First Baptist Church, Pinson Street. Breakfast to follow.
• Following 10 a.m. service, Easter Program, Providence Baptist Church, Summers-McKoy Road. An egg hunt will follow the program.
• Following 10:30 a.m. service, Egg Hunt, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. There will be separate areas designated for children age 2-7 and age 8-11. Bring a basket.
• 10:50 a.m., “Arise My Love,” adult choir musical, Providence Baptist Church, Providence Church Road.
• 10:50 a.m., Celebration Worship, fellowship hall, Christ Our Shepherd Lutheran Church, Led by Sandra Bohlken and the church praise band.
• 10:55 a.m., Easter Service with Music, Central Baptist Church. String quartet, chancel choir, Music Makers, Young Musicians. Worshippers will bring blossoms for the flowering of the cross.
• 11 a.m., “Because He Lives,” cantata, White Oak First Baptist Church, Highway 34. Followed by the Blooming of the Cross.
• 12:30 p.m., Spanish Easter Mass, St. George Catholic Church.