The Newnan Times-Herald


Man gets life in double murder

  • By Clay Neely
  • |
  • Feb. 23, 2017 - 2:20 AM

Man gets life in double murder


Jarico Deshun Brown

Jarico Deshun Brown will spend the rest of his life in prison for killing two men in 2014.

Along with girlfriend Keyna Nneaka Sewell, Brown was charged with the murder of Allen Cantrell and Wes Watson back in October 2014. In a blind plea taken by Judge Travis Sakrison, Brown was sentenced Monday to life in prison plus an additional 15 years, according to Assistant District Attorney Kevin McMurray.

Brown was also charged with criminal attempt to commit armed robbery and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, which accounted for the additional 15 years.

Brown will not be considered for parole until 2047.

Charges of murder were dropped for Sewell, although she pleaded guilty earlier this month to charges of attempting to conceal a death, false statements and giving false information to police. She was sentenced to 10 years to serve two.

Neighbors initially discovered the bodies of Cantrell, 20, and his friend, Watson, 26, inside a home in the 300 block of Widgeon Drive. The house is located in the Beverly Park subdivision off Millard Farmer Road.

Watson was a military veteran who served in Iraq, and once worked as a detention officer at the Coweta County Jail.

Brown and Sewell were located by members of the Coweta County Sheriff’s Office at a nearby motel only hours after the bodies were discovered. The murder weapon was later recovered from Brown and he allegedly confessed to the shooting, according to McMurray.

However, what specifically motivated the murders was never quite clear, according to McMurray. Brown allegedly indicated he wanted to rob the two men, but indicated to his girlfriend he was fearful they would get him.

“Evidence suggested they had limited interaction and that was one of the first times they all had met,” McMurray said. “There was no evidence the two men did anything against Brown to warrant such a violent ending.”

Both Cantrell and Watson were shot execution-style by Brown on the evening on Oct. 19, according to McMurray. Sewell told investigators she was asleep in the house at the time and was awoken by the sound of gunshots.

“We think it was a combination of his own demons along with whatever drugs he might have been under the influence of,” McMurray said. “He admitted to his girlfriend that he was fearful they would get him, and believed he needed to take them out before they took him out.”

Public Defender Rick Samper said he was grateful to have reached a deal with the state regarding the charges and sentencing.

“It’s a tragedy for everyone involved,” he said. “It was very unfortunate for someone so young to be put in that kind of situation.”

McMurray also acknowledged the sadness involved with the case, but was satisfied with the outcome.

“Any loss of life is sad, but thankfully, he was held accountable and it’s the right result,” he said.


Clay Neely:, @clayneely